Become a PUSH Member!
"PUSH's members are the community organizers who make affordable housing a reality in Buffalo. Our members work with partners and funders to create a healthy, just and strong city that includes community control of resources, living wage jobs and access to quality education, healthcare and transportation".
PUSH members are community residents who are ready to take a stand on a number of pressing issues facing our neighborhoods. By developing and leading winning campaigns to gain democratic control over our energy and community control over our resources PUSH members prove that REAL PEOPLE HAVE REAL POWER!
Click here to learn more about our campaigns.
Ready to become a member? 1 yr memberships range from $5 - $15 and can include a PUSH T-Shirt or PUSH Hoodie. Contact our Community Organizing Department at 716-884-0356 to get started today!
Work with us!
We continue to accept resumes for construction laborers. Interested individuals are encouraged to attend a BETC-sponsored drop-in every other Thursday. Check out our our events calendar for more info!
Opportunities are also posted on our PUSH Green website: PUSH Green Events
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION
Responsible for the management of all financial, accounting and human resource activities of PUSH Buffalo and its’ related Corporations. Complies with all organizational financial policies, as well as federal, state and local laws.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with
appropriate GAAP standards and applicable federal, state and local regulatory laws
and rules for financial and tax reporting.
- Develop and maintain systems of appropriate internal controls and financial
procedures to safeguard financial assets of the organization and to ensure that
substantiating documentation is approved and available such that all purchases may
pass independent and governmental audits.
- Administer, implement, and monitor all financial policies and procedures. Maintain
financial files and records.
- Prepare and reconcile bank statements; Ensure information is entered into the
financial system in an accurate and timely manner.
- Prepare balance sheets, income and monthly financial statements; quarterly reports and report
on variances; journal summaries and other reports as required by executive management and
the board of directors.
- Prepare and monitor annual budgets; assist in the annual audit(s).
- Oversee the accounts payable and accounts receivable systems in order to ensure complete
and accurate records; establish and maintain supplier accounts, purchase order system.
- Establish and maintain cash controls; monitor cash reserves and investments; reconcile
weekly deposits; ensure security for all credit cards and verify charges.
- Oversee all compliance and recognition for government (federal and state) contracts
and private grants.
- Review all grant proposal budgets, to ensure that all requested line items meet
organizational requirements (e.g., allocability, reasonableness and accuracy of cost
match(es), program income issues).
- Develop procedure for and manage disbursement requests for Grant Award
reimbursements and verify that all requests match charges in the general ledger and
are properly documented. Participate in financial reporting to funding agencies.
- Review contracts, insurance, leases, agreements, and purchasing arrangements for
optimum price advantage while minimizing exposure.
- Review risk management, insurance policies and establish procedures to mitigate
exposure and minimize expense.
- Manage the organization’s Human Resource activities; maintain all employee files and
records consistent federal and state laws and regulations; oversee the administration of
- Manage the payroll system ensuring that employees are paid in an accurate and timely
manner; process and distribute paychecks; make adjustments as necessary; update leave time;
review payroll reports and journals for accuracy and compliance.
- Manage office operations in an efficient and effective manner; provide for the filing, storage
and security of documents; manage the maintenance of computer and office equipment; and
ensure adequate supply inventories.
Ideal Candidates will possess the following:
- Bachelors degree in Finance, Business or Accounting
- Proficient in accounting software (3 years minimum experience)
- Extensive knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- 3-5 years experience, preferably in fund accounting and grant reporting regarding non-profits.
- Advanced spreadsheet skills required and general MS Office
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task in a fast paced work environment
- Highly organized, hands on, detail oriented, and self-reliant
- Able to complete tasks accurately and timely with minimal supervision
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Thrives in a collaborative, team player office environment
- Ability to interface well with staff and external contacts
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work overtime due to time-sensitive or a large number of tasks.
The Director of Finance and Administration will supervise finance and administration staff. The Director of Finance and Administration will be a Senior Management Team member. This position will report to the Executive Director.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and professional references to Aaron Bartley, Executive Director of PUSH Buffalo, by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or in person (271 Grant Street, 2nd Floor, Buffalo NY, 14213).
CONSTRUCTION lABORER POSITIONS
PUSH seeks candidates for Skilled Construction Laborer positions for a green affordable housing development project on the West Side. These are full-time (40 hours per week) project-based positions (8 to 12 months) with the potential for growth.
Ideal candidates will possess the following:
● At least 4 years professional experience in general construction and 2 years experience in residential rough and finish carpentry
● Ability to lift up to 60 pounds
● OSHA 10-hour for construction certification
● EPA Lead RRP certification
● Demonstrated ability to complete quality work safely, on time, and at cost
● Ability to work with others of varying skill levels as well as independently
● Basic hand tools
● Valid NYS driver’s license and reliable transportation
● Scheduling flexibility
● Commitment to grassroots community empowerment
● $12.66 per hour (City of Buffalo living wage rate)
● Optional health benefits
● Paid time off
Skilled Construction Laborers will report to the Construction Manager and Owner’s Representative.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and professional references to Clarke Gocker, Director of Workforce Initiatives, by email (email@example.com) or in person (271 Grant Street, 2nd Floor, Buffalo NY, 14213).
Opportunities are also posted on our PUSH Green website: PUSH Green Events
Volunteer with us!
As a membership-based organization located on Buffalo’s growing West Side, many of our members are extremely active (and very busy) volunteering in our Green Development Zone.
Interested in interning, or volunteering for us? Please download the job description for further information: Internship opportunities
We strongly encourage anyone that is interested in volunteering with us to first attend either our monthly Green Development Zone tour or our monthly member meeting to learn more about what we do!
Sign-up for our eNewsletter!
Can’t attend one of our monthly, Member Meetings? Looking for an easy way to stay on top of everything going on at PUSH? Then, sign-up for our eNewsletter...now!
Learn more about our organization and any job/internship opportunities that we have available. Simply subscribe to our newsletter by adding your name and e-mail address below (or above) and we will take care of the rest.
Download your copy of our monthly neighborhood newsletter - PUSH News!
PUSH Neighborhood News - May 2014
PUSH Neighborhood News - June 2014
PUSH Neighborhood News - July 2014
PUSH Buffalo and BNSC are Equal Opportunity Employers. Women and people of color are always strongly encouraged to apply.
Looking to contact a PUSH Staff Member? Click here for the full staff list.